Wednesday, October 8, 2014

1st Email from Elder Carbine 10/8/2014

Dad, Mom, Kenzie, Sydney and Justin

I am doing great so far! Its hard right now with learning Spanish, but I know that will come with time, study and patience. I have felt the spirit more in the MTC than I ever have, and it is an amazing feeling. I can definitely feel the saviors love in my life, and I can feel your prayers, because the first couple days I was having a hard time, but now i'm getting more into the groove of things, and I can tell that it is only getting better from here on out.

I am on the West Campus, and right now it is the place where all of the Spanish speaking missionaries are staying and studying, but on October 15th we are moving to main campus. Everyone just keeps telling me to enjoy the freedom while it lasts. But today started out really well! We got to go to do an endowment session this morning, and that was the best way to start out my first P-day at the MTC. After we were done at the temple we decided to go to Burgers Supreme and get some food that won't send us to the toilet every couple hours...And I went and got a Jamba Juice before we came back to email.

My Spanish is definitely starting to come. It is really hard and I can only understand so much right now, but el don de lenguas es verdadero (the gift of tongues is true.) I can say a rocky prayer in Spanish, and I know that will get better, and I can also bear my testimony in Spanish. We have a teacher named Andres who is our "Practice Investigator" so mostly every day we have to come up with a lesson to teach him, but the hard part is it is in Spanish as well.

I can already feel those blessings that President Rowland gave to me, and I can personally testify that the gift of tongues is real. I have learned more in the MTC than I have in 3 years of High School, that's how amazing this work is.

Conference was amazing! I have never enjoyed conference as much as I have at the MTC, and I felt the spirit so strong as I was listening to the talks and writing down notes from conference. The Sunday session was hard on all of my District though. We were just all so exhausted that we all pretty much ended up falling asleep in the auditorium seats where we were watching conference. That's one thing that's hard about the MTC is that I just get so exhausted every single day. It is hard work. I really wish that I could have sang in the Priesthood session with all of the other elder's, but I missed being able to do it by a week. I thought it would have been a blast.

My companions name is Elder Ryum. He is from Korea, and he is here on green card. He moved to the US when he was 6 years old. He and I have got along great! we both say at the end of each day that we can tell that we were meant to be mission companions.

I miss you guys all a lot! I pray for you guys every day and night. I know that it's going to fly by after the first couple of months. Especially when i'm in Mexico and not in Utah where I'm only a small drive away. I'm so glad to hear what dad's new oncologist said to him! That cancer is never coming back. I prayed for Dad a lot yesterday because I knew it was his 6 month check. Thank you guys for all of the letters! It always makes me happy to get to hear what's going on with the family. I'm only going to do one email for everyone today, because I have limited time on email. But I will try to give myself as much time on P-day to send you all an email, and i'll keep writing back to your letters.

Kenzie: I miss you so much. I miss just being able to come over to your apartment to play Halo, and hang out with you and Justin. I really enjoyed having all of that time to bond with you and Justin. You are my best friend. And I can't wait to see you. Like I said in my letter, less than two years (Sept. 12, 2016.) I can't wait to get home to see you, but I also can't wait to get out into the field in Mexico. I love you and miss you.

Sydney: I miss you little sister! I want you to know that you are a great young woman. I can tell you are getting more engaged in the gospel, and I love it! Never ever take the gospel for granted. It is an important part of all of our lives. I know that the savior is such an important role in all of our lives. I love you and miss you!

Justin: My ninja brother in-law! I miss you so much. I'm so glad that I got to spend time with you before I left for the MTC. It means a lot to me. I've always been so glad about how close we are. I considered you my brother before you and Kenzie got married, and I will always look up to you as my brother.

Dad: Thank you for being such a great example to me. Without your example, I may have not decided to go on a mission at all, and that would have been a stupid choice. I can already feel my relationship with Heavenly Father growing, and I love it. I am so glad that I made the choice to go on a mission. I don't know where I would be without the gospel in my life. I love you so much, and I'll see you before you know it. P.S. the food here does not agree with me at all. it feels like they put a laxative in everything they prepare for us, and it is no bueno. I ate at Burger supreme today, and all I could think about was going to BYU games, and being with you guys. But it feels nice not to have to go to the bathroom for a while for once.

Mom: Thank you for being such a great mother. You are an amazing strength to me, and the family. I'm glad that we had the chance to watch the price is right every morning before I left. :) it may only be a TV show, but it was a bonding experience before I left. I can't wait until I can see you all again, but I also can't wait to truly serve. The MTC is cool, but I already want to be in the field. I love you so much.

I could hear and see the BYU game from where I was and it just about killed me. All night until it was over I could hear it in my apartment. I know it made me really miss the family, and just going to the BYU games. But I have a higher purpose as a missionary.

This is it for this email, but I want to bear you all my testimony in Spanish.

Yo se que Jesucristo es el salvador, Yo se que el libro de mormon es verdadero, Yo se que Presidente Monson es Profeta verdadera.

I love you all, and miss you all so much. You are all in my prayers every day. I cannot even wait to get into the field, but I also cannot wait to see all you guys again. I miss you guys like crazy.

The gospel is true!

-Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment